For women or men wishing for fuller lips without the maintenance of recurrent injections, a lip implant procedure can produce beautiful results. This enhancement can be accomplished with silicone implants (such as Alloderm or Permalip), a fat transfer, or other artificial fillers on the market to add shape and volume to the lip(s) with no surgical scars. Similar to other facial implants, lip implants by Scottsdale, AZ board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Carlos Mata, come in variety of materials, shapes, and sizes to match the patient’s preferences. Perfect your pout with a lip enhancement with Dr. Mata, a.k.a. Dr. Scottsdale, as he will discuss the right options for you at a private consultation.
Lip Enhancement Options
- Silicone Implants: Lip enhancement using implants places a solid implant according to preferred size and shape that will increase volume in the lips. The result will look and feel natural, especially after several months when the implant is settled in its position. This is a permanent enhancement that may also be removed if the patient desires. The majority of surgeons use two implant types that are available today: Advanta Lip, which uses a synthetic Gore-Tex material that offers a fuller result with a firmer feel; and PermaLip™, which is a solid silicone material that offers a soft, natural result.
- AlloDerm®: Another alternative to silicone is a tissue matrix that is fabricated using the dermis that is harvested and processed from cadavers. This is rendered acellular and so any rejection is very rare. As this is porous, natural tissues within the lips will be able to integrate through it further enhancing the natural appearance of the augmentation. It is inserted the same way a silicone implant is placed.
- Fat filler: Also known as fat transfer, fat deposits are harvested from the patient’s own body by means of liposuction. These collected fats are purified and reinstated with tiny syringes into the lips. The doctor will take the extra measure of reinstating the fat tissues, slowly layering the filler to reshape the lips to meet the patient’s aesthetic desires.
- Injectable filler: This is a popular way to enhance the lips in a nonsurgical manner. Fillers are made from substances that are found naturally within the body such the hyaluronic acid or collagen based solutions. The result is realistic and looks and feels natural. Fillers produce beautiful results, however, they are considered short-term, and reinjection is advised every 6 months.
"I had two procedures done earlier this year by Dr. Mata. The tummy tuck was in January 2016 and following after in February, thigh lift. After working out so many years, it was the excess skin and fat I had removed. For all my future procedures and for friends and family, I definitely recommend Dr. Mata. Growing up with physicians in my family ( my mother was a Pediatrician), he has a wonderful disposition very reminiscent of the days when doctors cared and took all the time you needed to address concerns. Dr. Mata also made sure I was mentally prepared for the procedures and was 100% transparent with what I can expect. It's not a form of weight loss, but body sculpting. He has a very nurturing way about him as well. My healing experience has been the most positive under his care and the care of the staff. You are given written directions and the nurses will answer any questions you have. After the procedures, of course, new clothes feel great in smaller sizes, but it's not seeing the unwanted skin and fat, always getting larger sizes to disguise my trouble spots that brings me happiness. I have no regrets. I highly recommend Dr. Mata and I'm so grateful. My arms are next! :-)"- L.N. / Google / Jul 06, 2016
"Profecional,Honesto,Amables y Con Un Talento Expectacular y Tambien Todo Su Equipo Que Asen posible En Aser Un Trabajo Extraordinario Para Cada Caso Individual. y Lo Mas Inportante Teda Toda La informacion Nesesaria Para Que uno Sepa El Proceso.y Lo Mas Padre! Que Abla Español y Ingles."- V.M. / Facebook / Dec 28, 2017
"It's been a year and a half since Dr. Mata did my first procedures and I could not be happier. Dr. Mata is not only a highly pristine and competent Surgeon, he and his staff are compassionate and it's a pleasure to know them. The best of the best! Professionalism and a wonderful experience is found with Dr. Mata and his team."- D.P. / Yellowpages / Dec 21, 2017
"I went to see Dr. Mata for an issue I have been self conscious about for a very long time. I'm so glad I chose Dr. Mata. The whole process from initial consultation, surgery and post op follow up has been a wonderful experience and I'm so happy with my results! I highly recommend Dr. Mata to anyone considering a cosmetic procedure. You will not be disappointed."- D.S. / Yelp / Dec 20, 2017
"Labiaplasty - I went to Dr. Mata for his help with a very personal issue that has made me feel self conscious for a very along time. I am two days post surgery and I could not be happier with my results! Ladies, if you are considering this procedure I highly recommend Dr. Mata! I have read about many labiaplasty stories and my experience has been much easier than those I have read, no doubt due to Dr...."- P. / RealSelf / Dec 20, 2017
The surgical technique employed with lip augmentation depends on the type of material used.
- For implants, incisions will be made on the outer corner of the mouth and the implant is inserted through a tunnel that the plastic surgeon creates. The scars are concealed as the incisions are made along the natural lip line, and the sutures are so fine that once dissolved, they are unnoticeable.
- For injectable fillers, incisions are not necessary. The substance will be injected using a small, fine needle directly into the lips. During this process, the doctor manipulates the shaping of the filler by putting pressure on the lips where it is needed.
Lip enhancement using an implant product will generally be performed under general anesthesia in an accredited surgical facility. It is considered outpatient and the entire process is usually concluded within an hour. Injectable fillers require no anesthesia, however, a local numbing medication is usually used. After the procedure, the lips will be swollen and there may be bruising present. This will go away after a few days and the patient will instantly see results of the treatment. It may take a few more weeks for the best results to show.
Lip Augmentation FAQs
Solid Or Liquid Fillers?
It depends. Both solid implants and injectable fillers have their advantages and disadvantages. Patients need to consider the longevity and maintenance of both options. Solid implants are permanent while injectable fillers need reinjection every 6 months. Patients may opt to see the effects a filler will have on the lips first and realize lip augmentation is not for them. The pros and cons of both may be discussed during the initial consultation.
How Real Will It Look?
Technology today is able to design implants that produce great results when it comes to providing a natural look and feel. Optimal results are achieved when implants settle and integrate with the natural tissues of the lips. It is important to find a surgeon who has the necessary skills and experience when it comes to lip enhancement treatment.
Can I Have It Removed?
Yes. Silicone implants are easier to remove than porous implants but both are removable with a secondary surgery. Liquid fillers go away naturally over time as the substance is absorbed by the body, although a minimal fraction may be retained and may take a while before fully absorbed.
Will There Be Scars?
With implants, incisions are placed along the natural lip line and the scar will be barely noticeable. Fillers inserted by injection will not have any scars at all. It is important to take extra care of the surgery wounds according to doctor’s prescriptions to avoid any infections.
View your very own customized price estimation by clicking the link below.Price Estimator
Plan Your Procedure
- Average Cost
- From $2,000
- Recovery Time
- 3-7 days
- Average Procedure Time
- 20 min - 1 hr
- Procedure Recovery Location